Wednesday 14 March 2012

14th March 2012


     Today I lie in bed in a fever, sunshine filtering in through a small window.  The shadow of a cat blocks most of the light, a dark cat-shaped shadow, my cat, my black husband's cat, blackness where yesterday there was just blankness.  
     Yesterday , for the whole day, we were held in a white fog that surrounded the house.  We were like a tall ship at sea, with no knowing where we were, no landmarks, until the whooosh of a car and yellow headlights broke the spell for a moment.  The drivers were not doubt caught in the same reverie,  driving in a sea of mist that hid all familiar forms, and they saw our lighted windows as ships might see a lighthouse, guiding them past the danger of a foggy twilight.
     My fever holds time as a physical thing that floats on and on, around my bed, as I grow too hot, incapable of grasping it, and I cling to the bed in its heat and grittiness.  The sun sinks.  The cat has taken its black form to my elbow as I write, and looks into my eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment